Friday, March 27, 2009

Smoking Cessation: Chantix

Most of my friends know I am an avid smoker. I enjoy it. I love to smoke actually. My friends also know that I quit smoking 2 years ago for a total of 6 months. But I let the emotional and psychological damage of friendships going up in smoke, lead me back to the wonder sticks of nicotine nirvana. Back then I elected to use Chantix, a then-new smoking cessation drug by Pfizer. Holy hell, I did as instructed and *poof* no desire to smoke. I was drug induced cold turkey quiting. I figured I'd give it a go again. OH, not so easy the second time around. I tried quiting about four weeks ago and I was the crankiest 43 year old you never wanted to meet. So I have chosen to take things slower and continue on the path of the 12 week program. You ease into the program with one pill a day for 5 days. Then you continue on a 2 pill a day; one morning and one evening. You are encouraged to exhaust all of the medication, the entire 12 weeks. Your target quit date is after week #1. Well, that hasn't been working for me, so I've been biding my time...

3 comments:

JOEY said...

I quit 4 years ago. No meds and cold turkey. I still have one occassionally but usually only when at a bar with friends who smoke.

Jadielady said...

One of our friends who was at Idiotboy's last night is on Chantix, says its working so far but he does have the weird dreams.

JJ said...

well, I will definitely help you in any way I can.

BTW, I hope we can get together soon for a sneaky reason, Dr. Flab.

gualv - a latin american dove.